Lobo’s Lacrosse Makes First Appearance

Lobos+Lacrosse

Van Dougherty

Lobo’s Lacrosse

RMHS has a  new addition to the sports program; beginning in early May, the first season of men’s and women’s lacrosse will be starting.

The lacrosse team is in its first season at Rocky after being known as Fort Collins Unified for 18 years. The team consists of players from all four high schools in the Poudre School District. The reason the program changed from club to school is to introduce a new league of players. The Lobos have been trying to get a girl’s lacrosse program started for two years; moving the team to Rocky will help the girls’ program get a foot-in-the-door to get started.

The club team had been looking for a host school for a couple years; the Lobos appeared to be a great choice. Fossil Ridge was also in the running, but their new athletic director did not see a lacrosse team as a good fit. The PSD Athletic Director thought Rocky would be perfect because of its state ranked weight room and many fields, including the district’s own French Field. Athletic Director Wayne Moddelmog expressed his joy for Rocky stating, “I think it’s great; Rocky will get a ton of support and the students will be thrilled for lacrosse.”

Nothing from the club will change, besides a better practice field and new colors. “Just wearing the Rocky colors is much, much better than the club jerseys,” says varsity player Aaron Lambert. “Playing on French Field at RMHS majorly boosts my confidence and school spirit,” he added. Moddelmog is thrilled for the lacrosse team to be bearing the red and gold.  

The Lobos will play a wide variety of teams all across Colorado, including games against Monarch, Wheat Ridge, Boulder, and Fairview in the Front Range Conference. Out of its conference, the team has secured games against Regis (last year’s state champions), Kent Denver, and Denver East. The game against East on May 6 will be Rocky’s senior day. Varsity captains this year include seniors Conor Medina and Ben Rugh (both students at Fossil Ridge). Rugh was the second highest scorer in the 2015-16 season. “It feels great knowing that the team will be in trusted, capable hands,” says Lambert. This season, roughly 80 students from Fossil, Rocky, Collins, and Poudre will be playing lacrosse at Rocky. “Just like almost every other incoming freshman, I hope to play varsity, but all-in-all, I’ll be thrilled just to be playing at Rocky,” said freshman Lewis Evans.