The Fashion Year of Decades

“Style is a way to say who you are without having to speak.” – Rachel Zoe

Everyone has a unique style that says a little bit about who they are. The fashion of 2017 is made up of self-expression. There are styles from hip grandma to abstract and edgy; all of the style in this year of fashion trends have aesthetic vibes of the 60s, 70s, and 90s. Teens are thrifting more than shopping at big name brand stores, like Kohl’s and H&M, in an attempt to find that vintage look.

Students of Rocky explain this time period of fashion as a blast to the past with modern modifications. “My style represents vintage grandma. I take articles of clothing and transform them into a modern vintage look,” says junior Libby Truett.

Some students like to have a specific style and some like so throw together whatever, “My style varies from sweatpants and pants, to stylish and fresh,” junior Jaden Dinwiddie said.

Lots of students are appreciative of being able to express their fashion, “My style is interesting and I am thankful that the fashion of today has made society less judgmental on what others wear,” Rocky junior Danny Merchinson said. Diversity is beautiful and the fashion of our students show that.

For some, fashion is the easiest way to find themselves, “I used to be very insecure in the way I dressed which made me insecure in my whole self. Not since recently, I’ve finally discovered my sense of style, which can vary from day to day and I love it,” Rocky senior Olivia Brumbaugh said.

That’s the beauty of fashion in 2017, there is no set style. “Having the freedom to wear what I want, when I want is awesome. I am so thankful. I love this trend in fashion; it’s a free, nostalgic feeling,” Olivia said.

“Wearing these clothes that I get to find and revamp makes me feel confident. It makes me feel like people see me as an outgoing fun person,” Truett explained.

Everyone has a different idea of what they want to portray, bringing in style trends from the 60’s and mixing them with the 90’s style trends in order to create their perfect blend of 2017 individuality.