Breaking News: Rocky Installs Three Vending Machines Around Campus

After about 10 years, Rocky Mountain High School has vending machines back in business.

A few years ago, there was a district presentation that ended in the discontinuation of food vending machines across all of the schools. The issue was that all of the different schools were in contracts with different vending machine distributors–which conflicted with district regulations on student food distribution. Approximately ten years later, the contract issue has been cleared up and district regulations are met. 

According to Dean of Students Russell Stapleton, the machines were required to “sit” for 24 to 48 hours after transportation before they could be plugged in and used. There are a total of three vending machines located in the cafeteria, the square, and the athletics hall. 

From thirty minutes before cafeteria mealtimes to thirty minutes after, vending machines will automatically turn off and be unusable. This is important to remember if you want snacks during lunch. Plan to purchase them ahead of lunchtime or plan to wait until after. 

The snack selections that are expected consist of classics like Doritos, Lays, and Cheetos, cereal bars, granola bars, Pop-Tarts, and beef jerky; along with healthier options like protein bars, applesauce, and dried fruits. Prices range from $1.25 to $2.50 and will be shown after you select the items’ codes.

Beverages consist of Gatorades, Propel and diet, and zero sugar sodas. These range from $1.25 to $2.50 depending on which drink you purchase. All three vending machines accept cards and cash. There is a discount for those who purchase items with cash.

If you’ve been feeling peckish, this will be a welcome change! Snacks have been difficult to come by and this is an opportunity for students to stay on campus and still have something to eat besides cafeteria options.