You’re Bigger than You Think

Arrionna Farrickers profile picture.

More stories from Arrionna Farricker

A New Opportunity
November 19, 2016
The Real Comedy Club
November 3, 2016
Pepsi or Coke?
November 1, 2016
A Safe Place
October 31, 2016

Helping others can help you.

How is this? The answer is simple–by volunteering.

Many people think they can only help others through small acts, and, sure, they pay off eventually. However, a recent study done by ChildTrends found that teenagers between the ages of 16 to 19 who are more likely to volunteer and were less likely to become pregnant, be involved with drugs, and had a more positive outlook on school.

How can we ignore the fact that students who give back are more well-rounded and happy? We can’t. According to Big Future by the College Board, students who volunteer learn more about themselves, allow them to gain more respect for the people around them, and may even put students on a path to future career options.

A lot of students here at Rocky are giving back in more ways than one can see?, whether it be with Adopt-A-Family or through clubs, there are many service opportunities offered at Rocky to get students to give back.

Students have the opportunity to benefit from giving back and make themselves feel as though they are making a huge impact, which they are. Students involved in clubs like Girl Rising and Key Club, who work to put in their hours towards the community are some of the most well-rounded people I’ve personally ever met. By being involved in their community and helping others, those people have become more aware of the world around them and have become more thankful for the small things in life, which I think a lot of people forget about.

There are so many different ways for students, like you, to become involved and benefit not just others, but yourself as well in a positive way. You can become a member of Key Club, which is a volunteering organization sponsored by Kiwanis, Girl Rising, Cultural ARMS club, FCCLA, Student Council, National Honor Society, or even tutoring classmates. You can even contact other organizations within the community of Fort Collins such as the Humane Society, the Fort Collins Rescue Mission and put hours in with them. Even by purchasing toys for the Toys-for-Tots program at stores all around Fort Collins is a small yet meaningful way to give back.

Students who do something bigger than themselves are some of the best in this world and the benefits show for both parties. So, I say choose to do something bigger than yourself and make an impact because I promise you that you can get out into the community and make an impact.