Dylan Salas: Not Another Statistic

Dylan Salas' Rocky Mountain High School yearbook photo.

Max Hand, Staff Writer

At 10:22 p.m. on January 28, 19-year-old Dylan Salas was shot and killed near the intersection Harmony Road and Shields Street. This is not the first shooting to happen in 2018. It seems like there’s been a new one every day. In fact, there was another one the very next day.

What made Salas’ death significant was that he was a Rocky student, which made it hit closer to home and made me start thinking about school shootings and gun violence. There have been 11 school shootings already this year. Is there anything we can do to stop this? Is our second amendment too loose?

“A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear arms, shall not be infringed.“ I’m all for the right to bear arms but there should be a limit to who can buy what and how much they can buy. If it was more difficult for not just children but adults the amount of mass shootings would go down. In Colorado, you can walk into a store with a minor background check and purchase firearms.

January 23, 2018, Marshall County High School in Benton, Kentucky, there was a 15-year-old shooter who shot 16 students and killed two 15-year-olds. This is one of the eleven shootings this year and these are only 18 of the dozens of students who have been affected by these gruesome events.

You have to wonder how these kids got the weapons. Of course, the child shooters are to blame for this, but what if there was something that our government could have done that would have made it more difficult for these children to gain access to weapons? Maybe our Second Amendment needs some updating and specifications regarding who can carry weapons and who can purchase weapons? Perhaps we need to address access to weapons and storage of guns?  

This is not something that we should just hope gets better. People, kids, are dying and nothing is changing. Even if taking and look and maybe changing the second amendment doesn’t help, it is still better than sitting back and watching it happen over and over again. If it does work we could be saving the lives of generations of kids.

When my friends and I talk about school shootings, we’re not actively scared every day, but there’s always a sense of unease. We are on edge. Should students in America just get used to the feeling that anything could happen or should we try to do something about it? I feel like we should at least try.

The American people need to find a compromise. If we can find a solution that helps gun owners keep their arms and non gun owners feel safe, everyone can benefit from the potential decrease in mass shootings. To everyone who thinks that the second amendment is fine, tell that to the parents and siblings of everyone who has been affected by school shootings, mass shootings at concerts and other venues, and families like the Salas’.

3 Comments

3 Responses to “Dylan Salas: Not Another Statistic”

1. Gavin Black on February 8th, 2018 9:24 am

I did not know this kid but I feel for him, his family and his close friends. Several of of my friends knew him and they were devastated when they heard about this incident. I agree that there should be a more regulated gun-control policy though criminals will be criminals and still get their hands on guns if they really want them. Though making it harder for them to get a hold of guns will definitely inhibit the number of shootings.

[Reply]

2. Harry Yoxall on February 23rd, 2018 11:55 am

I’m glad the police are working to reprove those involved, they deserve a very tough punishment. The author did a good job mitigating the incident for readers, it is much easier to read this article than sort through the news and opinion pieces.

[Reply]

3. Erin Harders on May 16th, 2018 12:30 pm

he seems like a winsome young man, may god bless his soul

[Reply]

• Dylan Salas: Not Another Statistic

Infinity War Review

Selfie Spots

• Opinion

Protest Perspective

• Opinion

Recruiting is who you know

• Dylan Salas: Not Another Statistic

Opinion

Get involved in RMHS sports

• Opinion

School shootings

• Dylan Salas: Not Another Statistic

Opinion

“Students You Give Me Hope”

• Life

Black Panther Movie Review

• Dylan Salas: Not Another Statistic

Opinion

Keep Rocky Safe

• Opinion

School is a privilege, don’t get schooled

Dylan Salas: Not Another Statistic