Facts on Front Range

Front+Range+
Front Range

Front Range

Front Range

Madisyn Seidel

A lot of students jump to conclusions about Front Range, believing that only students with low GPA’s and students who aren’t “4-year college material” attend there, but Rocky offers many different Front Range programs for all juniors and seniors that benefit them not only for the rest of their high school education but can also provide college credits and save money for college.

The High School Select program has courses that are taught on Rocky’s campus by Rocky’s staff. These courses have been approved to allow students to earn high school and college credits through Front Range Community College. The High School Select program has fewer classes that are offered, but more are added each year. One reason to not take this program is if a low grade is earned, it will show up on a college transcript and may affect scholarships, financial aid, etc.

Campus Select is a different program where students may take courses at the college campus that align with their career plans. Students can attend Front Range to take classes and earn college credit during the all and spring semesters. Campus Select differs from the High School Select Program because students get the experience of  being in a college classroom. The downside of this program is that it limits chances for other courses at Rocky and credits may or may not transfer to a 4-year degree. However, for students who are ready to move on to a more career driven option, this a good program to consider.

The third program is Career Pathways which includes eight different programs students can do to earn college credit. Each program has a different number of credits students can earn. This is a year-long program that starts in the fall. Students either attend in the morning or afternoon. Seniors mostly do this program because it’s easier to do on their schedule, but there are some juniors who do this program as well. It is open to both juniors and seniors.

For any of these programs, students have to apply to Front Range to become a student there and once that’s complete they will get an S number, which is like the ID here at Rocky, but will be used as identification at Front Range. There is also an application that needs to be filled out for the actual program. Campus Select has to be approved through the school district before students can register for classes as it is paid for with district funds.

For all these programs, the tuition is paid by the school district, although students will be responsible for books or any class fees that are associated with the classes they’re taking.

Some benefits that come with participating in any of these programs is being on a college campus and earning college credit. If students have earned 12 college credits by the end of 12th grade, they can also do what’s called Ascent,” which is where students will do a fifth year of high school at the college level at either Front Range or Aims Community College and the tuition is paid for by the school district. Although this is a fifth year of high school, students who participate can still graduate on time, with their class.

Rocky registrar Mrs. Amy McCoy stated, “This is something that’s pretty easy for students to do, especially on our block schedule, because students can earn so many credits here that by the time they get to their senior year they have a lot of free time.” Interested students can see Mrs. McCoy in Student Services for more information.

Juniors and seniors should take advantage of these opportunities to benefit themselves and their future–and most importantly, to save money.

1 Comment

One Response to “Facts on Front Range”

1. Marley Horn on February 2nd, 2018 12:01 pm

It was nice to learn irrevocable information about Front Range in an article that encompassed the correct aura of the school and their classes.

[Reply]

Even better the second time?

• Facts on Front Range

The Future and Past of Hughes Stadium

Dive on in

Start Your Spring Cleaning

Stem Cell Therapy for Athletes

Rocky Mountain Wellness Team

• Facts on Front Range

Big weekend for ACE

• Facts on Front Range

Lobo Lacrosse

• Facts on Front Range

Infinity War Review

“A Quiet Place”

Facts on Front Range