A Message of Hope in a Time of Hopelessness

If you would have asked any high school senior what they thought their last quarter of school would be like, the thought of dancing the night away at their last prom would have been seen dancing through their eyes. Smiles would have shown across their faces as they imagined their silky gowns and funny looking caps.

With the outbreak and spread of the novel coronavirus, the thoughts and smiles of finally experiencing those momentous occasions are fading. The extra days off school that would have been typically greeted with cheers and celebration, are now days of uncomforting solidarity. This ominous cloud of uncertainty is settling in and starting to stimulate a mindset of hopelessness. 

But now more than ever we need to have hope. 

To my friends, peers, and the class of 2020: know that you are not alone in your frustration and sadness. Though the ending of the year is not what we had imagined, it is still ours. We will find a way to walk across the graduation stage to receive our diplomas. We will find a way to enjoy our last moments in the hallways together. There will still come a time where we will gather together and celebrate all that we have accomplished and all that we will accomplish. 

To my fellow athletes who are missing out on their last chances for that scholarship, the thrill of the sport, or the camaraderie of a team: know that you are not alone in your anger. It was never the sport itself that made you an athlete, but rather your mindset, hard work, and dedication to your passion. These are traits that you can never lose. Even without this season, continue to push and strive for your next game, match, or meet because, even more so now, the love for your sport is what sets you apart from the rest of the crowd. 

To our teachers: know that you are not alone in your loneliness. We, your students, miss you greatly. We miss your smile, your kindness, and even your homework. Reach out to your students beyond the online schooling emails. Check-in with them, encourage them to check in with you. Continue to develop that relationship not only by listening to your students about their disappointments, but also by allowing them to listen to yours. Now more than ever your words and voices matter to us.

And lastly, to our parents: know that we, your children, are grateful for you. The emotions that we are exhibiting aren’t meant to be aimed at you. We know that you are taking care of us. You are doing your best to make an unbelievable situation, manageable. Thank you.

I encourage everyone to have patience with yourself and with others. Carry yourself with kindness and compassion. And most importantly…

Spread hope.