Why Prom is Overrated

Caitlin+Genschoreck%2C+Emery+Vischer%2C+Alyssa+Acevedo%2C+Katie+Thomas%2C+Brenli+Hammer%2C+and+Fiona+Oliver+do+a+classic+prom+pose.+

Caitlin Genschoreck, Emery Vischer, Alyssa Acevedo, Katie Thomas, Brenli Hammer, and Fiona Oliver do a classic prom pose.

They are overpriced and I don’t think it is worth it from what we get from it.

— Garrit Wilson

School dances like homecoming and prom have become a popular high school activity. From dresses to suits, to dinner to dancing, these dances have become a highlight of the high school experience. Although fun and special, I believe that over time, prom has become overrated.

Don’t get me wrong, prom can be very fun. Getting ready with friends, going out to dinner, and dancing the night away can definitely be a recipe for a great night. Yet, is it really worth all the money and stress that goes into it?

I believe that one of the main contributors to prom being so overrated is how expensive the night turns out to be. It is expected that girls wear long dresses and guys wear classy suits or tuxes when attending prom. These outfits can come to $200 or more, and are definitely overpriced for what you get– a dress to wear once and a tux you have to return. It is crazy to think that just the clothes alone can be so expensive and are only worn for one night.

Even the tickets for prom are extremely pricey, at $45 for a single ticket and $80 for a doubles ticket. Students have to pay so much money just to walk into a room and dance to music. “They are overpriced and I don’t think it is worth it from what we get from it,” said junior Garrit Wilson.

There are always extra costs as well like buying dinner and paying for corsages or boutonnieres. Girls usually treat themselves and pay to get their nails done, maybe get a spray tan, or have their hair and makeup professionally done to feel more glamorous and beautiful for the night.

All of these factors make for a costly night for a dance that is hyped up more than it should be.

Prom is like any other school dance, but is more expensive and carries higher expectations to be a perfect night. I believe that since standards are so high and that students are made to think that this night is going to be so amazing, they are usually disappointed in the end because it may not turn out like they thought it would.

Prom is believed to be a perfect, magical night full of romance and no drama, when in reality, it can be far from that. Not everyone is lucky enough to have a date and there always seems to be conflict that stirs up between friend groups, quickly hurting the amazing night that it should be.

I believe that prom is overrated because there is so much pressure to make it an exemplary night, but the outcome always seems far from the expectations. Hundreds of dollars are put into the night to help make it more amazing, yet is only spent on a few measly hours of our lives.

Prom can be an exciting and enjoyable night, but does not seem to be worth all the money and lower expectations might make it a better experience. I am not discouraging anyone about going to prom, but would recommend to stay realistic about  your expectations and budget.