Time to Bloom

Time to Bloom

I have my own geodome where I regularly water my flowers.

Mia Stolpe, Staff writer

Springtime is here and for some earth-loving, tree-hugging people that means it’s time to start a summer garden! Making the difficult choice as to what seeds to plant and take care of for the rest of the summer can be tricky, here are five flowers you might consider for your next gardening day.

Hardy Hibiscus- If you’re a fan of this tropical flower, the hardy hibiscus can actually grow in Colorado. If you plant in early spring, you can expect them to pop up mid-summer.You’ll have to be patient, but this big and beautiful flower that buds six to eight inches wide is worth the wait

Black Eyed Susan- This golden-yellow beauty is one of the most popular wildflowers grown. It can grow to about three feet tall, and with the butterflies, bees, and other insects that are attracted to this flower, their pollen is quickly spread. These flowers are also known to be territorial so make sure you give them their space to grow

Christmas Rose- This wintery sounding flower is actually a great plant for springtime in Colorado. They grow best in shaded locations especially in higher elevations. Once flowering, they only need to be watered once a week, so these bell shaped flowers are cute and easy to take care of.

Geranium- This versatile flower first came to America via Thomas Jefferson in 1786, and has been very popular ever since. They can fill hanging baskets, containers and flower beds with their fanciful petals. With over 300 species of Geranium, it’s easy to find one that fits your aesthetic and that you can care for in your garden.

Phenomenal Lavender- This species of lavender is fairly easy to grow, drought tolerant, and is resistant to root and foliage diseases. In fact, it’s known as the toughest lavender out there. In addition, the long, plentiful, blue flowers bloom all year and have a calming fragrance that attracts butterflies

You may want to research further for your particular growing conditions, like shade and full sun, but as soon as all this snow melts, you should get out and plant some of these flowers to make your summer blossom.

Mia Stolpe, Staff Writer

Mia is a senior at Rocky and doesn't really know what she wants to do in life but has lots of aspirations. She spends a lot of time in the art department...