Cheer for Sheri

Cheer for Sheri

The RMHS Cheer Team shows support for their fellow 'Bo.

Annabel Lasher, Writer

On September 18, 2018, Sherilyn Hone faced what would be the hardest experience in her life, being diagnosed with leukemia.

This shocking announcement left many heavy-hearted, especially the girls on the Rocky Mountain High School cheer team who had gotten particularly close with Sheri.

Varsity cheerleader Preslie Denton said, “When coach told us at practice that Sheri was sick, almost everybody cried. At this point, we had no idea how serious it was, but knowing that she wouldn’t be back for a while was a stab in the heart to us. Once we got the news that she was being transported to Children’s because of a possible leukemia diagnosis, everyone started praying, but we were all terrified.”

The team was heartbroken to hear about the long journey ahead for Sheri and decided to help her in any way they could.

Denton mentioned that individuals have gone down to Denver to see her and have caught up with her when she’s healthy enough to come home. They have sent her cards, made t-shirts, and dedicated parts of their routines to her.

“Sheri was helped mainly through the cheer team. We had some separate stuff side aside for her at the fundraiser basketball game that helped her financially,” Mrs. Nickel said.

However, it would really help Sheri if she got a little bit more recognition. “Many students do not know about the battle that Sheri is fighting, which is why we are organizing a fundraiser in her honor.” teammate Zoe Jenkins said.

From February 25th to March 8th, Sheri will be acknowledged through a series of events. There will be a homeroom change drive competition, t-shirts and stickers for sale, night outs, and a Unified basketball game will recognize her on the 6th.

Sheri’s family has indicated that they plan on using the raised money to continue receiving treatment at Children’s Hospital.

Sheri is not the only member of the Rocky family who has faced a cancer diagnosis. Taylor Bastian, Kate Prewett, Liv Fondy, and Carter Edgerley have all fought or are still battling cancer battle.

Throughout the month of April, there will be fundraisers in honor of all of our students suffering from cancer.

The Rocky community has never failed to come together in times of despair. We will never forget the battle that these students are going through and will continue to offer support to these brave Lobos.

Annabel Lasher, Staff Writer

Annabel Lasher is a sophomore at Rocky Mountain High School. Annabel enjoys swimming, listening to music and hanging out with friends. In her free time,...

2 Comments

2 Responses to “Cheer for Sheri”

1. Marsha Shupe (gramdma) on February 13th, 2019 9:03 pm

Sheri, We are so proud of you and the way you continue to fight this horrible disease! You are a warrior and will get through this!! All my love Grandma

2. Preslie on February 21st, 2019 9:45 am

We are so proud of how strong Sheri has been during this time of her life, and remember bos, nobody fights alone.

• Cheer for Sheri

Interview With the Custodians

• Cheer for Sheri

Eco-chic Shopping

• Cheer for Sheri

Kate Prewett Endowment Scholarship

Unified Basketball: Rocky vs Mountain View

Destress Your Prom Dress Shopping

Sk8ter Girl

Wellness Day @Rocky

• Cheer for Sheri

Lobo Display

• Cheer for Sheri

Wellness Day

Saying goodbye to America’s favorite rover

Cheer for Sheri