Small Acts of Kindness

Small Acts of Kindness

World Kindness Day was November 13th, but any day is a perfect day to start small acts of kindness.

Hannah Strahmann

Hannah Strahmann

Hannah Strahmann

Hannah Strahmann, Staff Writer

It is easy for us to get caught up in spending money on ourselves or just focus only on ourselves or the people close to us. However, research shows kind acts make us happy. Many studies have shown that a group that lives their normal lives when compared with a group that does small acts of kindness, that the group that is doing these small acts is shown to be happier by the end of the study. 

In order to make you and others around you happier, here are some small acts that you can do when you are out getting food or even just walking in the halls.

When walking in the halls, there are many teachers who are standing around the halls. While you are walking, it’s easy to just not pay attention to what’s going on around you, but it is easy to say “hi” to them when you walk past or if they wave while walking past, maybe just wave back. Moving your hand or saying “hi” while you are going from one place to another isn’t that hard to do and only takes a second of your time. These small interactions make both parties feel good.

Another thing you could do is hold the door open for someone when you are walking into school. When walking into school and there is a group of people only a few seconds behind you or if you are the first one to get to the door, holding it open for a group will only take a second and is just a small thing to do for someone in passing. It makes other people feel noticed and special, even though it’s a very small thing.

One thing that we have all been told to do since we are little, but really does make a difference. When you are out at lunch or asking a teacher for something it helps to say “please” and “thank you.” Many people can just forget to say it and come off rude and unappreciative.

There are so many things that are quick and easy to do, but we just don’t. t could truly make someone’s day–and ours to find some ways to be kind. These are just a few examples, but there are dozens more things you could do. So, maybe, after you read this, think about one quick thing you can do today that could make not only you, but others happier.