Dia De Los Muertos

Veronica Barajas

See signs around campus for more information on Dia de los Muertos and come to the Media Center on November 1-2.

Los Lobos, a Latino/Hispanic leadership club at Rocky Mountain High school (RMHS) is hosting their first Dia de los Muertos celebration at RMHS.

Dia de los Muertos, also known as Day of the Dead, is a holiday celebrated mostly in Latin American countries. It’s a day to remember those who have passed on to the other side and to celebrate the beauty of life.

Before the celebration comes, people create altars with images of the person or persons who have passed away filling them with items they enjoyed, like their favorite food, drinks, and personal items.

Typically the event takes place in cemeteries where people decorate tombstones with bright, cheerful colors and bring ofrendas (offerings) for when the deceased cross back to the real world on October 31st.

The celebration lasts a period of three days from October 31 to November 2 when they depart back to the other side.

Los Lobos wanted to share a bit of their culture with RMHS to end the confusion between Halloween and Day of the Dead since they fall on the same time of the year. They have created an event known as Dia de los Muertos at Rocky, where they will be having an altar contest with the participation of ACE, Lobo Mess, FCCLA, and many others.

Students can look forward to face painting, sugar skull making and food!. The event will take place in the RMHS Media Center during lunch on November 1st-2nd and students are encouraged to come and vote for their favorite altar and enjoy food, activities, and live music.

In addition, they will be showing the Pixar movie “Coco,” which portrays this holiday.  

Rocky students and staff bring your money (prices will vary, but $10 should be plenty) and get ready to enjoy a day in the land of the dead!