PSD Vaping Regulations

Multiple examples of seized juices and vaporizers sit next to PSD Code of Conduct in the deans office.

Evan Johnson

Multiple examples of seized juices and vaporizers sit next to PSD Code of Conduct in the dean’s office.

Because marijuana can be vaped, this is the first year that vaping has been treated like a drug in PSD. Rocky has obviously not gotten the message. Students who may only be vaping for “fun” may find themselves suspended. During the first quarter there have already been 23 drug related suspensions, nine were freshmen.

Student possession of drug paraphernalia and the use, distribution, gift, purchase, exchange, sale or being under the influence of alcohol or drugs is prohibited on all District property, in all District vehicles, at all District or school-sponsored activities or events, and off District property when the behavior has a reasonable connection to school or any District curricular or non-curricular activity or event. The punishments for getting caught are as follows:

• 1st consequence: 5-day suspension from school and suspension from 30% of interscholastic competitions
  • 2nd consequence: 10-day suspension from school and suspension from 50% of interscholastic competitions  
  • 3rd consequence: expulsion and the student athlete will lose the right to participate in all interscholastic athletics for the remainder of his/her high school career.

Compliance with the standards of conduct set in this policy is required for all students. Electronic devices such as juuls, phix’s, drop’s, and mods are all considered drug paraphernalia and are not allowed on all District property and at all District or school-sponsored activities or events.

E-liquid or “juice” is all chemicals, some that are not even allowed to be in cigarettes. There are no regulations in place that monitors what goes into the e-liquid, so companies are not required to tell the truth about what is in their product.

If students think that adults cannot figure out what is in their vaporizer they’re wrong. There are panel “strip” tests that assess whether the “juice” contains nicotine, marijuana, or neither. There are also urine analysis tests that can be given.

When these chemicals are heated in the coil of the electronic device, they enter the body and they come out as an aerosol, not a vapor. The heating of the chemicals inside damages the mouth, throat, and lungs. The (ALA) American Lung Association stated that vaping is comparable to sucking on an exhaust pipe while starting a car. Students who are vaping should definitely consider quitting because of the health aspect, but also because there are significant consequences for getting caught. Keep these new rules in mind, Rocky, and don’t vape at school.