Cans Around the Bo’val.

Bethany Rush

One of the many posters around Rocky shows the goals for this year’s fundraiser.

Cans Around the Bo’val is just one of the big projects in which Rocky participates. Every year Rocky and other surrounding schools donate cans to CSU’s bigger Cans Around the Oval project. All donations of money and cans go to the Larimer County Food Bank which helps people who are suffering from hunger.

Cans Around the Oval is a CSU tradit

Cans around the Bo’val is a great opportunity for students to help out in their community.

— Anonymous

ion where business partners, students, and local schools like Rocky raise awareness about hunger and collect food and donations for people who are in need in the community. This year Rocky’s goal is to donate 7,500 cans and raise $4,500. Last year Rocky donated 7,330 cans and $4,079.

To make the donating even more exciting, the business department, who runs this fundraiser,  likes to include a homeroom competition component in addition to the community competition. All local schools try to beat each other by trying to donate as many cans and money as possible. Whichever school that has the most donations gets bragging rights that year.

Another competition that goes down is just between Rocky’s homeroom classes. All grade levels compete and try to be in the top three classes donating the most cans and money. All homeroom classes use colored boxes to collect the cans: freshman get white, sophomores get yellow, juniors get red, and seniors get black. All grade levels are tracked by the cans so the class with the most cans wins a trophy. For homerooms, the top three winning homeroom classes that collect the most money receive a prize. The prizes include pizza, root beer floats, and donuts. The first place winner gets first pick.

Cans Around the Bo’val started on the first of October and runs until the 15th. Students wishing to contribute are asked to bring $3 cash and 3 cans. The Food Bank really needs brown rice, canned meat/fish, fruit, and peanut butter, but will accept any shelf stable cans, boxes, packages.

So far, there haven’t been many cans turned in and very little money. There are only a few more days left to get it together. Let’s show the community who we are and win this again, ‘Bos!