A Change in StuCo Advisory

A Change in StuCo Advisory

New StuCo advisor Ms. Kelsey Mauch cheers on the 'Bos at one of Rocky's volleyball games, dressed in her Rocky gear.

Hannah Strahmann

Hannah Strahmann

Hannah Strahmann

Hannah Strahmann, Staff Writer

Ms. Kelsey Mauch is a Family and Consumer Sciences teacher here at Rocky, but this year she has also taken on the roll of new StuCo advisor, “I just feel like Rocky is a really special place and I want the culture we have to maintain and grow and for it to continue to be what it is. I think the family feel here is really rare and it doesn’t happen by accident so I want to lead a group of kids who want to stay committed to that cause,” she said.  

This is Mauch’s first year being a part of StuCo; she is taking over after Ms. Ginny Cox was the advisor for five years. As for changes to how StuCo is run, Mauch stated, “I’m not making a ton of changes at first. Mrs. Cox was an amazing student council advisor so she has a lot of really good things in place so I’m not really changing much, just making things my own as far as I organize stuff. I think I can learn a lot from just doing great things that have been done, and not change to much right away.”  

Along with the students in StuCo having to adjust to having a new advisor, Mauch has had to adjust to how to run something so vital in Rocky’s culture, “The hardest part so far is that a lot of times I don’t know things and I have to admit that to my kids so that’s hard for a teacher to still have expectations for students when they are really having to tell you what the expectations are, but we have fostered a lot of mutual respect in that way.”

Anyone can see that one of the hardest parts of being a part of StuCo is the events and how much effort is put into them. On top of that, there are many events being planned from the very start of the year, one coming up very soon is homecoming.

“It has been crazy, so it’s super early this year. Usually it’s in October so it’s been kind of a whirlwind. The kids are really excited about the theme. I think Secret Garden is going to allow for some cool decorations. Spirit days were just planned which was really exciting and we just need to get some finishing touches on the feeder parade and royalty and then the dance will come together.”

When asked what she is looking forward to the most Mauch said, “I think Craft Fair because it’s a combination of the Rocky community and the Fort Collins community coming together and gives us an opportunity to work with adults outside of Rocky to develop professionalism and things like that and it’s just a fun day.”

As for the students not involved in StuCo, but wondering how they can contribute, they should know that Mauch “…would love to have you come help us with everything. We have member meetings every other Thursday at lunch that are open to the student body to come give their feedback, give us ideas, help plan spirit days, all kinds of things like that, like decorating for homecoming. They are a very diverse group of kids and that is intentional that we pull from all voices from student body. If you feel like your voice isn’t heard by student council we need to hear it so let us know.” Member meetings are at lunch in Mauch’s room, 344.