Don’t be Afraid of the Bell

New+bell+and+Camera.+

Max Hand

New bell and Camera.

Monday, September 10th, Rocky had a doorbell and camera installed in the front door to the school. This is not new to the district, as all elementary, middle, and high schools in Poudre School District now have this safety feature.

Christi Geist sits at the front desk and is in charge of looking at the camera. When someone pushes the button, she makes sure the person trying to get into the school is not a threat to anyone in the building and lets them in.

Mr.Stapleton said regarding this new safety feature, “Here’s what I think the research tells you. Every obstacle you put in the way of someone who wants to do harm to the school is a good policy.”

So far, Mr.Stapleton has not received any feedback, and he says if he is not getting feedback, there are no complaints, so he sees that as a positive. He wants to make sure everyone knows, “During the school day, use the front entrance.” This is for your safety and it takes maybe a minute to walk all the way around.  

Several students have just walked away when they find the door locked. There are signs clearly showing what to do. Students are not going to get in trouble and should not be hesitant to push the button and ring the bell.

This is not the only new security initiative that PSD has in mind. They are hoping in the future that they will be able to develop and incorporate facial recognition, thumb prints, and student ID’s that will help make sure that the only people who get into the buildings are students, staff, or personnel that do not want to harm anyone in the building.

These ideas and security modifications are coming from Norm Bastian, the head of security for PSD, If you have any ideas, recommendations, or questions regarding the security of any school you can reach him at 490-3523.

While I believe these security initiatives are a good start, talking with Mr.Stapleton, I reminded him that lazy 15-18-year-olds who may not even want to be at school are not going to park in the senior lot and then walk all the way to the front. They are just going to go to the senior or athletic doors and wait. This is exactly the unsafe practice that Rocky is trying to avoid.

I recommended that Rocky could try putting a desk or some sort of office at those other doors–similar to the one we have in the front office. The same security procedures could be followed for letting students in at these doors. when they walk up from the student parking to the senior or athletic doors.

In addition, Rocky could try putting a security guard at those doors and give him the task of making sure only students and people who should be here are let in.    

In the meantime, go through the front door–and don’t be afraid of the bell!

The new bell and camera can be found just to the left of the front entrance. When the doors are locked, students need to push the button and wait until they hear a click as the door unlocks. They can then proceed to the front office and check in.