Once a Lobo, Always a Lobo

Flowers+with+pictures+of+Kate+Prewett+were+placed+around+the+church+at+her+service+on+August+27th.+

Caitlin Genschoreck

Flowers with pictures of Kate Prewett were placed around the church at her service on August 27th.

“Together as one” is something said frequently at Rocky. While all of the Rocky community has heard this phrase, it is quite possible that it has never been more relevant than in the past few months.

Each person, no matter what age is affected by grief and the need for support through that grief in his or her own unique way. Rocky embraces both supporting and meeting the unique needs of staff and students. We are so fortunate that as a school we value caring for each other and we are able to lean on each other during these times of loss.

— Ms. Mogorit

As many know, Rocky has lost three lobos recently. The first was a tragic accident on June 6, 2018, Samuel Allen. A beloved teacher passed away on July 26th and a sweet, young girl passed on August 20th. Each of these three people will forever be a ‘bo and support has never been stronger in the Rocky community.

Rocky has come together more than ever before to support one another in this difficult time. While all of these losses may not have affected some students personally, it is important to come together and support each other as much as possible.

Samuel Allen was going to be a senior this year and graduate with the rest of the 2019 class. His tragic accident happened this past summer. He was loved by his family and many friends. He was planning on attending college next year and studying Natural Sciences. For more information on Samuel, click the link here.

Losing one person in the Rocky community is hard enough, but in the summer of 2018, students were informed of the passing of Ms. Yamashita. Ms. Yamashita taught language arts for multiple grades and she was loved by many. She was a teacher who would always care for the wellbeing of students, far beyond her class. She reached out to every student in ways for which Rocky cannot be more grateful.

Kate Prewett lost her battle to brain cancer in August. She would have graduated in May of 2019. She passed away on the first day of school with her family by her side. Throughout her year and one day journey of “killing the beast,” she never lost her love for people. She consistently cared for those around her and never complained once. She maintained such a positive attitude in such a hard time. Kate played volleyball her freshman year at Rocky and loved to spend time with friends and family. Read this to learn more about Kate’s story.

A close friend of Kate, Alyssa Acevedo, discussed what it means to lose a friend. “It sucks. It really does. If I am being honest, people at school are very good when it first happens but then it dies down a little. I am grateful for the support and the students and staff are very concerned.”

It is quite possible that Rocky comes together more than ever in a difficult time like this. Students and staff who are affected by these losses are overwhelmed with love and support from others.

It is important to remember that while these losses may affect one greatly, do not hesitate to reach out and get the support you need. At Rocky, there are many resources for coping students. Do not hesitate to reach out to a teacher, counselor, peer, or friend. There is no doubt that you will find support where you need it.

Rocky has always remembered students who have passed in a memorable way. There is a tree outside planted for a student who passed away years ago. As many know, Ms. Haynes passed away last year and Rocky now has a garden to remember her passion for students; it is near the Geodome.

“Once a lobo, always a lobo,” is seen most through the support and love the community shares for one another. Samuel, Ms. Yamashita, and Kate are loved by many. The support for these lobos will remain consistent.

Remember to love one another, treat each other with respect, reach out to someone if they need it, and never forget to support one another during these difficult times.