Bringing ‘Bos Together

Callin Naddy

The Pack Principles are displayed on a poster in the hallway at Rocky.

Get ready to get unified, Rocky

Unity Week kicks off April 16 and runs through April 20. The event, created by students and staff after the 1999 Columbine Shooting, occurs every year on the week of its anniversary.

This year, the focus is on bringing students together as one while also supporting their differences.

“The overarching theme of Unity Week is to celebrate all that we bring to our Lobo community, embracing our differences as we strive to support one another as Lobos,” noted counselor Susan Takahashi in a recent email to staff.

Throughout the entire week, students will also have the opportunity to participate in a matchmaking survey.

The project, organized by students Torie Wolf and CJ Hendrie, requires participants to take a survey, which will then be sent to an outside company. The company studies student responses with the ultimate goal of supplying each with twenty other girls and guys who share similarities. Results will be available for $3, with profits benefiting the Lobo Fund. Taking the survey is free.

“It’s really just to get people to step out of their comfort zone and meet people who also have similar values and personalities,” added Wolf about her project. “And also so we can raise some money for the Lobo Fund.”

Each day of Unity Week will be themed and have different activities to encourage student participation, in addition to the week-long survey.

Monday’s activity, aptly named Walk Up Day, will encourage students to walk up and introduce themselves to five new people.

On Tuesday, or Shade It Out Day, students will be given sunglasses to practice shading out their differences.

Wednesday’s theme is CommUNITY. Students and staff are asked to dress in green. Additional activities include collecting plastic grocery bags to turn into yoga mats and a campus clean-up at 8:00 am.

Lobos should dress in tie-dye or rainbow colors on Thursday in celebration of Rainbow Day. This is aimed at highlighting “the different colors we all add to our world.”

Friday, or Rocky Pride Day, bands all Lobos together with the goal of everyone wearing the Together-As-One shirts.

“During Unity Week, we’re really trying to get people to step out of their comfort zone and meet new people,” added Wolf. “We really want everyone to take the survey so everyone has the opportunity to meet new people. This is a great way to know where to start looking.”