If you like it, lock it

Theft reports are climbing at Rocky. In this year alone, 25 reports have been submitted, meaning students actually went to the deans or Officer Carver following loss of personal items. Many more students do not report theft, as some had contraband items stolen, like vape mods, and weed paraphernalia.

Most of these thefts have been from the athletic area. Students don’t have a lock or the time to secure their personal items and just leave them on the benches or in wide open lockers, then they are surprised when their items have been rummaged through or stolen by other students.

Dean Stapleton had great advice when asked how to prevent this, saying “protect your stuff by using a padlock, and lockers, and do not share locker combos with other people.” he added, “if somebody forgets their locks, they cant rent one at from us down in the dean’s office for free.”  

Today, during first period, I went to the women’s locker rooms with Officer Carver and found a total of five bags unattended and not locked up. The final one I came across had car keys and a laptop next to it, but hiding beneath the keys was…a lock. At that point you are begging someone to take your Subaru for a joy ride to Qdoba.

What it comes down to is how much do you value your stuff and what are you willing to do to protect your items? When asked, students said they were just too lazy to lock their stuff up. That’s just silly. If you like it, lock it, Rocky.