School is a privilege, don’t get schooled

Many adults feel that today’s kids don’t take advantage of the free education that the state provides for them. Kids have taken for granted a free education, and I strongly agree with these adults. I hate how my peers will drop out of school because they think it’s too hard for them when they should be thinking about their futures.  

While the graduation rate in Colorado is still pretty high, about one in five kids drop out. I don’t understand why any of them wouldn’t take advantage of all the opportunities they’ve been given. Opportunities like financial life management classes and other classes can help them land a good income job.

One of the school district’s main priorities is to help all kids graduate. However, students must also make school a priority themselves. Students should make an effort to attend school and keep their grades in conditions suitable to graduate on time. Students who go the extra mile show they value their education over students who get frustrated and drop out.  

School is a privilege. Students are not forced to show up to school every morning.  Students must understand that others can’t determine their future for them if they don’t show up to school to get the education offered. High school isn’t that hard unless you make it harder for yourself by not showing up to classes and falling behind other classmates.

According to the Colorado Department of Education, about 20% of Colorado students drop out. This number has increased since last spring. These kids have chosen to not finish their high school studies.These 20% of kids clearly didn’t value their education and their future won’t be as successful as the high school students who did graduate. A high school dropout makes on average $19,000 a year; a high school graduate makes $28,000 a year, a college graduate makes $51,000 a year.

In the United States, kids who value their education admire their teachers for helping them in the times that they need help with school.

“I’m really happy that I had the teachers to help me in my schooling and have people actually care that I wanted to graduate on time,” Rocky student Jacob Guthrie said.

Students who do struggle in school should understand that your peers and teachers are willing to help you if you are also willing to put in the time and do the work.