Top Music of 2017

Jaden Rivera, Staff Writer

2017 was a wild year with the crazy weather, the solar eclipse, and a new president being inaugurated. It was also a great year for music.

There were so many chart toppers and with all the new music that came out this past year, Spotify and Billboard have released their most popular and most listened to songs of 2017.

Both Billboard and Spotify agreed that number one was “Shape of You” by Ed Sheeran and number two was “Despacito” by Luis Fonsi and Daddy Yankee, featuring Justin Bieber.

Though Spotify and Billboard’s lists ranged in order, the lists were pretty similar with “Humble” by Kendrick Lamar, “That’s What I Like” by Bruno Mars, “Something Just Like This” by The Chainsmokers with Coldplay, and “Congratulations” by Post Malone featuring Swae Lee being some of the highest on the list. Both lists also agreed that the albums DAMN. by Kendrick Lamar, Divide by Ed Sheeran, More Life by Drake, and Starboy by The Weeknd belong in the top five for albums of 2017.

There is still lots of new music to expect in the new year, The 1975 is said to be coming out with their third album Music For Cars this year, as well as Justin Timberlake who will be releasing his first album since 2013, The 20/20 Experience: Man of the Woods. Rumors are also saying listeners  can expect new music from artists like Kanye West, Rihanna, and Beyonce.

Musicians like U2, Taylor Swift, Lorde, Pink, Lana Del Rey, Demi Lovato, Little Big Town, and many more are also going on tour this year in support of new albums.

Can this new year live up to the great songs of 2017?

Link for Billboard: https://www.billboard.com/charts/year-end/2017/hot-100-songs

Link for Spotify: https://www.forbes.com/sites/hughmcintyre/2017/12/05/spotifys-most-popular-albums-and-songs-of-2017-ed-sheerans-latest-ruled-the-world/#4e6d671843c8

2 Comments

2 Responses to “Top Music of 2017”

1. Nate Wozniak on January 25th, 2018 9:19 am

I can respect other peoples opinions but I do not think that any of these belong here. Many other artists like Gorillaz came out with great songs. I feel that only pop culture is represented here.

2. awhite on January 25th, 2018 9:30 am

Nate, we’d love to hear your views on this! Would you be willing to write a short column on your music take for 2017 and 2018? It would be great to have a different perspective. Contact Mrs. White in 341 if you’re interested!

Top Music of 2017