Grandma Got Run Over by a Teenage Driver

Max Hand, Staff Writer

The Rocky safe drivers initiative #TheLoboWay was started last year by Mr. Armstrong. He started this program for “student and staff safety on the road.”

Students were awarded the safe driver of the month after filling out the short quiz that can be picked up at Mr. Armstrong’s desk in the main office. Armstrong also looks out at the parking lot during lunch to see who is driving the speed limit, has the right number of people in their car, and he checks to make sure students’ number one priority when behind the wheel is the road and the safety of the people in their car.  

Last year during the month of April, Colton Weaver won the safe driver of the month as a sophomore. He received a $20 gift card to Safeway and a $10 gift card to Chick-fil-a. He still drives as safely as he can and makes sure that his number one priority is the safety of himself and others on the road.

Mr. Armstrong said that the reason teens are the worst drivers on the road is because they have the most opportunity to encounter distractions like phones, friends, and music.

Students around Rocky said that phones, radio, friends and family can all be distractions on the road.

Junior Max Kuck said, “I find it very distracting when I get upset after being cut off and encounter road rage.” This is a distraction that happens to lots of teens and adults too.

Junior Jack Miller commented, “The biggest distraction on the road are cell phones.” Jack uses his phone to change the radio and finds it difficult to drive and use his phone at the safe time.   

Sophomore Cassidy Weaver added, “My biggest distraction is my older brother Colton yelling at me and telling me how I should drive.”

Junior Brenden Harris finished with, “Bro, I text and drive all the time.” This is the definition of a teenage driver. Teenagers think they can do more than one thing while driving, but this is really not possible.

Hopefully with Mr. Armstrong’s help and with Rocky students being more aware, we can protect everyone on the roads and change the stereotype of teenagers being bad drivers.

If you’ve got your license and want a chance at winning a prize, go by Mr. Armstrong’s office and fill out the #TheLoboWay sheet and pledge to never text and drive for the sake of yourself and others.  

5 Comments

5 Responses to “Grandma Got Run Over by a Teenage Driver”

1. Jordyn Reece on December 14th, 2017 9:19 am

This story was intriguing and absolutely stacked with facts.

[Reply]

2. maddybuckets on December 14th, 2017 9:21 am

love the title

[Reply]

3. Campbell on December 14th, 2017 9:24 am

I cant wait to drive

[Reply]

4. Evan Johnson on December 14th, 2017 9:31 am

This stories title caught my eye right away because many people think about texting and driving.
    I thought the story was well composed and interesting but I wanted to see more interviews which would make it more interesting. I also thought it was very revealing that some teens dont care about texting and driving as even one of the kids says he does it all the time. It’s dangerous and I think this is an important story to have in our schools newspaper.

[Reply]

5. Felicity Day on February 2nd, 2018 12:03 pm

It’s also a bad idea to use contraband while driving because it can impair your vision and motor skills.

[Reply]

Stem Cell Therapy for Athletes

• Grandma Got Run Over by a Teenage Driver

Big weekend for ACE

News

Project Based Learning: Compose Our World

News

Rocky Mountain HIGH

News

Campaigning starts strong

News

Search Rights and Wrongs

News

Let’s talk about your trash recycling

Send Nudes?

News

Research Day Ready For Third Year

Spring Sprints