The Program that Rocks It

The ACE Program makes it their business to experience the real world.

Bea Loeb

Tee shirts from the Rock Stop

Through the ACE program, career and tech education students are gaining skills and confidence to successfully run a business.

ACE (Alternative Cooperative Education) is a unique educational program that works towards giving kids “real-world experience.” The program is sponsored by teachers Patti Haugen and Kim Nigro. They produce and sell plants, shirts, and jewelry, for both the Rock Stop Boutique and the geodome. Their brand, Rock-it Products, is run by students to gain business experience and create profit for the ACE program. 

“It’s not just for the kids who have obvious disabilities,” said Haugen, “It’s for the kids who have dyslexia or a hurdle with math. It helps them gain confidence.”

Students in this program are are going through real-world business processes, which, in turn, teaches them how to become entrepreneurs. They create the ideas, produce the merchandise, and work to sell within Rocky and the local community.

In Fort Collins, they sell basil from the geodome to Cafe Vino and have products on sale at Vines Vintage and Walnut Creek. Last year, with the addition of the geodome, they began selling succulents and herbs. In place of the Rock Stop, they opened a new boutique with shirts made by the ACE students.

Students in the program are grateful for the program and feel more prepared for post-graduation.

I grew on on a level where I can be successful in the outside world

— Sam Weaver

, “ACE gives me an opportunity to run a business and try new things.” Weaver emphasized his new ability to make lemonade from lemons. In other words, his stronger problem solving skills help him come to terms with mistakes, fix them, and ultimately learn from them. For example, if he forgets to flip the letters when making a vinyl shirt, the consequence of lost profit must be acknowledged.

The ACE program expresses their hopes that the Rocky community supports them by checking out their new boutique and their hard work. Even with the challenges that come with disabilities, they are able to look past their struggles and operate their business. With a new found confidence, ACE students believe they are “rock-iting” to success.