A glimpse into Rocky Thoughts

Students have a variety of different educational goals in high school. While all of them expect to learn something, many are overwhelmed by classes that were far more challenging than expected. When asked which class was the most difficult, students at Rocky Mountain High School provided a range of diverse answers. 

“My most difficult class is definitely APUSH because I have a lot of homework and during class we have to take a lot of notes,” junior Izzy Nickel said. Junior Aviela Cordova shared that her AP environmental science class was “incredibly challenging.” She explained that it was very overwhelming and the intense workload caused her to switch out of the class within the first week.

Senior Serena Shields explained that she currently does not have any difficult classes, however, said, “I had a hard time in my geometry class that I took sophomore year because it was purely online.” Numerous students from each grade provided similar to this one, regarding classes they had during online school. Online classes were overwhelmingly some of the most challenging and difficult classes. Senior Raven Chamberlain shared that her We The People Political science class can be emotionally draining at times. “We discuss heavy subjects sometimes,” she said.

Freshman Avery Eckman shared that her biology class is a lot of confusing information to take in and a very heavy workload, while Dylan Bowles said, “This year has been easier than I expected.” He went on to say that his biology class was easy for him. Sometimes it really depends on the teacher and previous learning and studying. Freshman Winslow Morgan-Farburn agreed that this year has been easier and more laid back for him as well. “My biology class is challenging at times but I am still learning things and staying engaged.”

Brolin Brooks also agreed that his freshman year has been easier than expected. “My hardest class is engineering,” he said. Freshman Reina Rivard agreed with him, but explained that she is struggling in her Spanish 2 class. Sophomore Analy Tena said, “ESS is probably my hardest class.” Analy explained that she is falling behind because she’s not very skilled in this particular subject. 

After speaking to many students at Rocky, it is evident that areas of strength are different and each student has divergent learning styles that work for them. What can Rocky do to accommodate all students and cater to all types of learners? How can counselors help students choose classes that will challenge them, but not crush them? Leave your comments below!