Seniors: Five Things To Do For College Prep

Make sure to join the Google Classroom for the Class of 2021 for updates.

Have you ever heard the saying, “you never know how fast it goes until it’s over.” I know I have, but I never really took it to heart until now. For us seniors, this statement could not be more accurate. 

The days are counting down, and the clock is ticking fast. I know I am not the only one drowning in college essays, application, scholarships, and deadlines right now. I wish I could say that it will get easier, but these next couple of months are going to be very stressful. 

Here is a list of suggestions that I have complied to (hopefully) make these next stages of life go a little smoother. 

• College Essay: The essay is easily one of the most important parts of the application process. It is your chance to give the admissions counselors a glance as to who you are. You are more than just your grades and test scores, so show them that–use examples, active voice, evoke emotions. You want to keep it personal, but remember that it has to stay under 650 words, so be concise; maybe choose one specific story that you can really dive into. 
  • Deadlines: Each college has a different application process. For example, some schools have rolling acceptance, meaning they take applications all year. Others have stricter dates in terms of sending apps in. The biggest advice I could give is to pay attention to the colleges you are interested in and their specific deadlines.
  • Test Scores: Around 65% of colleges have made the decision to not require SAT/ACT scores for admissions this year. The admissions team are humans; they are aware of the circumstances in the world today, and they sympathize with the students. However, CollegeBoard is still offering SAT/ACT tests throughout the year if you are interested in taking it for scholarship purposes. RMHS is offering a free SAT exam taking place on October 14th. 
  • Scholarships/Financial Aid: Each year, around 1.7 billion scholarships are handed out to students. The Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) is one of the major financial aid applications. I recommend filling out. The application opens on October 1st. For more information on scholarship opportunities, visit scholarships.com.
  • Visits: Although colleges may not be letting students tour around campus during this time, several are offering free virtual tours. You can find these by going to the website for the intended school. On top of that, Rocky has virtual college visits rolling all year. 

This time of year can seem like a lot with the added pressure of figuring out the future. Remember, you are not alone in this journey! Feel free to reach out to your counselor or Mrs. Fassnacht if you have any questions. Hang in there ‘bos!