What’s the big deal with the big TVs

When students came back from Thanksgiving break they were perplexed by the appearance of several big screen TVs that Rocky had recently purchased for local school announcements.

These TVs will be used like bulletin boards when someone has an announcement about a club or an event that is going on in the Rocky community. Students, teachers, clubs will be able to submit announcements on the TVs.

Towards the end of last school year, Rocky administrators, including Mr. Stapleton, Ms. Bennett, and Dr. Woodall, decided to purchase five TVs that cost $1,900 each and one touchscreen that cost $2,900. All of the TVs purchased are 70 inches. The total project cost $18,670 and came from building fund money, money earmarked for building usage. Rocky is not the only school with these TVs; Kinard, Fossil Ridge, Preston and Fort Collins all have them as well.

There are three phases in this process. Phase one is installation of the TVs using brackets. Phase two includes networking and getting power to the TVs. Phase three is contracting with an organizational system to convey the content. Phase one is just being completed, as a TV had to be relocated. The $18,000 does not include the electric bill or the program Rocky has to purchase to run it.

According to Mr. Stapleton the TVs should be up sometime in the third quarter but there is no solid date for when they will be up and running content.

This project was not just a Rocky idea, however. TVs are being added across the district. A group of people looked at which schools have already done this and decided to bring the technology to Rocky. Four schools are currently using this system: Fossil Ridge, Kinard, Preston, and Fort Collins. Rocky administrators want to keep Rocky up to speed with technology.

They are hoping that no one will mess with the TVs because that’s not the Lobo Way, but there is always the danger of vandalism. A reminder to those who might try something anyway: there are 72 cameras in the school and the TVs will be monitored at all times.

Mr. Stapleton wants every club or event at Rocky to have their own folder or file that the TV can advertise for passing students to look at. Depending on where each TV is placed, the deans and club owners will decide which advertisement or announcement runs to promote to students who may be interested.

Ultimately this is a change that had to happen to keep up with technology and to keep up with other schools’ improvements. In the new age, it’s change with the times or be left behind. Rocky wants to be known as a school that looks to the future and appeals to everyone.