Work Hard, Play Little

Will Arones profile picture.

More stories from Will Arone

NHS Induction
November 18, 2016
Pepsi or Coke?
November 1, 2016

Any Rocky student who has a job knows that work plus school doesn’t leave much down time.

It seems like as students enter working age they are dying to get a first job for many different reasons: not enough money to buy video games, saving for a future, or just to get out of the house. Whatever the reason, the shine from having a job rubs off quickly as work conflicts with after school activities, down time, and a social life.

“I’ve had eight jobs since my freshman year at Rocky,” said senior  Cade Caballero-Wood.

Most businesses that hire high school students want them to work after school to as late as they possibly can, for example, students may have shifts scheduled from 4:00 to 9:00, or 4:00 to 10:00, or even later, longer shifts.

“A usual weekday at the Garlic Knot is from 4:00 to 10:30 and a weekend shift is from 10:00 to 10:00,” said Caballero-Wood.

Businesses also usually want a student who has open weekends as well, so that they are available to help at peak hours.

A standard work schedule for some student is five to six days with a day or two off. “I usually work 50 hours in two weeks,” said Caballero-Wood.

Some students may purposely make their availability so they only work two or three days of the week, but that can make finding a job that much harder. Working this many days and late into the night, not much time is left in the day for down time, for students to do homework or relax.

Students who have after school activities must be aware of how jobs might schedule them and how they are going to manage their time to do homework and hang out with friends. After finding a job, students will need to work with their bosses to find scheduling that will fit the employer’s needs but still allow the student the time they need. Students also should be aware that at first they will seem to have a lot money, but they will soon realize pay checks don’t go very far when responsibilities like car insurance, gas, and car maintenance come up.

Some students with hefty after school activities can find jobs that allow them to just work weekends while other students with similar availability opt not to get jobs at businesses, but instead mow lawns or babysit for more convenient hours. There is more than just one way to get income as a high school student, and in the end it’s up to the students to choose how they will obtain income and how to spend it.