A Little Bear with a Big Heart

Winnie the Pooh enjoys himself always.

Winnie the Pooh enjoys himself always.

Mia Stolpe, Staff writer

Most of my generation grew up with Winnie the Pooh as a significant part of our childhood days, but Winnie the Pooh is nothing to be left in the past. Pooh is arguably one of the most iconic figures of our time.

Winnie the Pooh represents love, innocence, naivety, and self love. All things we could take a lesson from, no matter our age. He teaches children that it is okay to live in the moment, take it easy, and spread love relentlessly.

Here are 10 quotes that prove my claims:

1. “I think we dream so we don’t have to be apart for so long. If we’re in each other’s dreams, we can be together all the time.”
  2. “‘I don’t feel very much like Pooh today,’ said Pooh.

‘There, there,’ said Piglet. ‘I’ll bring you tea and honey until you do.’”

1. “You’re braver than you believe and stronger and smarter than you think.”
  2. “People say nothing is impossible, but I do nothing every day.”
  3. “How lucky I am to have something that makes saying goodbye so hard.”
  4. “I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.”
  5. “Rivers know this: there is no hurry. We shall get there some day.”
  6. “If the person you are talking to doesn’t appear to be listening, be patient. It may simply be that he has a small piece of fluff in his ear.”
  7. “What day is it?”, “It’s today,” squeaked Piglet. “My favorite day,” said Pooh.”
  8. “You can’t always sit in your corner of the forest and wait for people to come to you… you have to go to them sometimes.”

So if you’re feeling like reconnecting with the sweet little bear and the beautiful lessons ingrained in his innocent ways, Christopher Robin the movie just came out on Netflix

The History behind Winnie the Pooh is just as captivating as the story itself. During WW1 a young cub was bought by a cavalry veterinarian from a trapper who had killed the cubs mother. He named the cub Winnipeg, after his hometown, and trained it to the point that it acted like a puppy with humans.

When Colebourn departed to the trenches on the Western Front he left Winnipeg at the London Zoo. Once back from war, he realized he could not take the bear back because the people of London loved him too much. One boy who had a specific love for him was Christopher Robin, the son of  author A.A. Milne.

Inspired by his sons love of of the famous bear and all of his stuffed animals, Milne wrote a series of stories and books that captivated all audiences. The first collection of stories came out in 1926, and 93 years later the story is still relevant.

Mia Stolpe, Staff Writer

Mia is a senior at Rocky and doesn't really know what she wants to do in life but has lots of aspirations. She spends a lot of time in the art department...