Do Not Let your Parents Watch This Show

Do Not Let your Parents Watch This Show

Torie Wolf reads one of Marie Kondo's most famous books: The Life-Changing Magic of Tidying Up.

Torie Wolf, Staff Writer

There is a new Netflix series that is sweeping the nation called “Tidying Up With Marie Kondo.” Marie Kondo is a 4’8” woman from Japan and the creator of the KonMari organization method.

This method helps and encourages tidying by category, not by location,  beginning with clothes, then moving on to books, papers, komono (miscellaneous items), and, finally, sentimental items. She stresses that people only keep things that speak to the heart, and discard items that no longer “spark joy.”

On her show, she will go to an individual’s house, put them through these steps, and help them along the way. She hopes that parents will be able to instill this method in their kids so they can grow up and know how to organize.

Kondo also wrote the #1 New York Times best-selling book, The Life-Changing Magic of Tidying Up where Kondo

“Donations were up a whopping 367 percent the first week of January compared to the same time last year thanks to the KonMari method.” ”

— Goodwill Industries in Washington, D.C.

took tidying to a whole new level, teaching that if you properly simplify and organize your home once, you’ll never have to do it again.

My personal review of this: DO NOT LET YOUR PARENTS WATCH THIS IT or read her books! If you have parents who are anything like my mom, they will feel the need to start “tidying up” as you are trying to write college scholarship essays. This show has not only inspired my mom, but people all over the country.

Goodwill Industries in Washington, D.C., told the TODAY show, “Donations were up a whopping 367 percent the first week of January compared to the same time last year thanks to the KonMari method.”

Kondo believes that people around the world have been so drawn to this philosophy, not only due to its effectiveness, but also because it places great importance on being mindful, introspective and forward-looking.

Even if you think your parents are immune to this “Tidying Bug,” I highly recommend not taking the chance. Kondo was on Time Magazine’s list of 100 most influential people in 2018 and is set to be on it again for 2019.  

Torie Wolf, Staff Writer

Torie is a senior at Rocky and loves being involved in the Rocky community, especially through all the clubs the school has to offer. Some of her favorite...