Responsibilities of a new pet

Responsibilities of a new pet

Bethany Rush and her blue nose pitbull Maui explore Horsetooth Rock.

Ariana

Ariana

Ariana

Bethany Rush, Staff Writer

Whether you are getting your first pet or you are adding a new member to your furry family, there are important things that need to be considered to make sure you are prepared to welcome home an animal.

One of the biggest things that someone needs to think about is: Can you afford a pet? It is important to remember that there are many costs that come with bringing home a new animal. Animals need annual vet check ups to make sure that they are healthy. A way to make sure that you can financially care for your new family member is pet insurance. Pet insurance is a great things to have if your pet gets sick or needs surgery, pet insurance helps the owner out by paying part of the expensive bill that can add up with the cost of helping out your pet. But owners also need to be prepared for the other expenses such as, food, toys, and other items for the new member

An exciting thing that needs to be thought about is how old you want the animal to be. A younger animal like a puppy requires more attention and the owner needs to make sure that they have the time and patience to care for the puppy. When choosing to adopt an older animal, it is important to recognize that depending on the age of the animal, you may not have as much time with them and they may have some health issues to deal with.

Another big thing that needs to be considered is your commitment to a new pet. An animal’s life can last for years which means that the animal you bring home is most likely going to spend its entire life with you. It is important to figure out if this is something that you can handle, and if not, then it it is a good idea to reconsider bringing home a new animal.

Bringing home a new animal is exciting and brings so much joy into your life, but it is always a good idea to take a step back and look at all the new responsibilities that go along with adding a new family member to your home. Once you know you are ready for a new pet, all of the responsibilities are well worth it!

Bethany Rush, Staff Writer

Bethany Rush is a senior at Rocky Mountain High School. Bethany enjoys drawing and hanging out with her friends. After high school, Bethany plans on apprenticing...