Rocky Through The Looking Glass

Karenna Doctor

The Writing Team (Sloan Holland, Emma Cailene, Christian Saavedra) discuss logistics with head of Design, Levi Jaquez.

Everyone hears about the sports teams, StuCo, and Key Club–but very few hear about The Looking Glass. The Looking Glass is Rocky’s literary and arts magazine put together each year by the students in the club. The magazine is published in late April of each year with student work from categories including fiction and nonfiction writing, poetry, visual arts, and music.

The 2018 edition of the magazine was released at a launch party in April and just received its official feedback from the National Scholastic Press Association which included two marks of distinction and an overall rating of First Class. Most of the members from last year agree that it was one of the best magazines so far, and Senior Levi Jaquez concurred, “Last year was the best magazine we’ve done; all of the designs were seamless and the final product was absolutely amazing.”

The student teams are selected through an application process at the beginning of each school year and placed into a category where they fit best. The categories are Fiction/Nonfiction Writing, Poetry, Music, Design, and Art. All the teams, except for Design, receive submissions from Rocky’s student body and select the ones to be included in the final publication.

This year, Jaquez has moved up from a Design team member to the Head of Design. The Design team builds the final product using their own themes, designs, and templates, and places all the accepted submissions into the magazine. All the teams work together like a well-oiled machine to get the final product ready for publication by early April.

This year, the excitement for the final product resonates with everyone. All are looking forward to what will be created with a stellar staff, made up of many people who have been in The Looking Glass before. According to Jaquez, “This should be one of the best years yet, all of the teams are filled with people who know what they are doing and ready to create.”

The Looking Glass has a big impact on the Rocky community, but isn’t well recognized. Jim Glenn, the staff sponsor, said, “The purpose of The Looking Glass is to, in an aesthetically pleasing manner, put forth the artistic creative works of the Rocky Mountain High School Community across a variety of genres.”

If you want to take part in this, you can submit a piece on the website (https://rmhslookingglass.club) and check out past editions of the magazine. If you are a freshman, sophomore, or junior, you can apply to join the team at the beginning of the next school year. Get creating, ‘Bos!

Submit to The Looking Glass by early February!