Finally Flavorless

Finally Flavorless

People can no longer vape with flavored juices as easily.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/vapemart/36509487064/in/photolist-8nLrJM-feyboN-gVVNAY-hyT8tm-29nLgA1-XCdEwU-8ZYqjV-dfP35R-m676Eu-73wBte-Dm5o8m-21r6qD7-cV8wsb-7BsJCe-e9VaBa-d3warG-7BwxQb-fwEWyc-fLuNwN-eHYohx-8p3Uig-d9FzwW-gtcuUH-m9uuie-J3XfSV-pdEuQu-d6cuYy-289UHVr-aWyXrx-exhLfV-d6cuvs-QGaNwj-21Sv5gj-7BwxGm-gX2w9S-KiSBys-nVSFoR-QuGLhP-243kwZi-21Sv9ds-nTEWWs-e7aBVq-qwVYDR-rghzLT-Sp67YN-aShg7k-gX2tok-nXrUDA-jfeBWG-21tMYKt

Erin Hutcheson, Staff Editor

About a month ago, The Highlighter published a story  about the petition to ban flavors for e-cigarettes (https://rmhshighlighter.com/6569/opinion/flavorless/ ). Last week, the F.D.A announced the official ban of flavored juices in stores.

According to Wired, the F.D.A commissioner Scott Gottlieb said, “‘kid-appealing’ flavors, such as candy and fruit,‘the core of the epidemic.’” but mint, menthol, and tobacco are still being sold to help adult smokers quit. The government is taking these flavors off the shelves, but Juul might put the fun flavors back on the shelves if they raise the age restriction on when people can buy juuls. In last year 3.6 million middle schoolers and high schoolers have been vaping regularly. 

Officials are hoping the ban on these flavors being sold in stores will cause a domino effect. One thing the F.D.A is pushing companies like Juul to do is make the juuls, drop, airs, etc. and the juices to be in a non-accessible area for teenagers in stores. Also, they asked Juul to shut down their social media outlets. The government hopes it’ll stop the appeal of Juuls if they don’t post anything. The F.D.A is hoping that this ban will push companies to stop selling products online as well because kids can easily lie about their age.

With the ban of candy flavors and fruity flavors, Robin Koval, CEO of Truth Initiative, said that mint is nothing like menthol. She said via Wired, “‘A roll of Life Savers comes in mint—it’s a candy flavor…’” Kids will still use Juul and the mint flavor will be the most appealing of the flavors left. If they are advising taking away flavors, mint should have been taken away as well because that one will be the one kids go for.

Banning flavors is supposed to bring change among teens. It’s hoped to be the start of the end of e-cigarettes getting out of hand with this generation of kids, but it might be too late. It’ll stop some kids from vaping, but it won’t stop all of them and it penalizes adult users. People have become addicted. That’s what nicotine does and they didn’t start on cigarettes, as cigarette smoking is actually down. New addictions stems from e-cigarettes; so banning the flavors is going to be disappointing, but kids won’t stop. Thinking that they are addicted because of the flavors, is just not accurate If kids are addicted, the flavors won’t get rid of that addiction. The F.D.A, though, won’t stop trying to lower the number of teens vaping. We will see if this has a domino effect like they hope.

Erin Hutcheson, Staff Editor

Erin Hutcheson is a senior at Rocky Mountain High School. Erin enjoys hanging out with friends and watching movies. She works at Papa Murphys's and loves...