Halloweek: The Spooky Season

“The night of October 31, the eve of All Saints’ Day, commonly celebrated by children who dress in costume and solicit candy or other treats door-to-door,” is Google’s definition for Halloween, but what do Rocky students do on this spooky day?

Rocky puts on Trick Or Treat Street on the 25th of October where a ton of kids from the community come to Rocky to go door to door and collect candy from students who dress up and decorate the halls and doors.

According to History.com “[Halloween] originated with the ancient Celtic festival of Samhain, when people would light bonfires and wear costumes to ward off ghosts… The evening before was known as All Hallows Eve, and later Halloween.” This terrifying holiday started in Ireland, where they celebrate all day with bonfires and parties all day. The United States moved away from that due to children having school and having things to do during the day. Now,  most of the celebration takes place at night.

Senior Jenna Giffin.

Senior Jenna Giffin is excited for Halloween, “I love the family dynamic surround it,” she said. She is most looking forward to matching costumes with her friends on the 31st. She will be celebrating with her mom, passing out candy to the kids this year.

Senior Cody Sexton.

Cody Sexton is finishing his senior year and said, “I don’t know why I celebrate it; it’s just been a thing ever since I was a kid.” He is most looking forward to eating candy and passing it out to the 2018 class of Fortnite costumes.

MaKalya McAllister, a new Rocky Mountain student who just moved from Greeley, is most looking forward to eating candy, “This year, I will be having friends over and watching scary movies all night.”

Sophomore Sarah Chatila said, “I cannot wait to hand out candy to all of the cute kids, and watch movies with my friends.” She will not be dressing up this year, but will still be enjoying the holiday with her friends.   

All of the students who were contacted by The Highlighter said that it is very difficult to make plans due to the fact that it is on a Wednesday and school will be in session on Thursday. Go get that bread, ‘Bos and enjoy the night!