Goodbye Rocky

Elisia Severs

Rocky students shining their flashlights at the back to school assembly in 2017.

This wasn’t anything like High School Musical made it out to be.

Don’t get me wrong, that’s a good thing.

Especially now as college grows closer, I’ve been reflecting back on my high school experiences. I came into Rocky surrounded by people who, like almost all freshman are, were unsure of their places in the school and the roles they’d assume in the future. As a class, we’ve grown through setbacks to get to a place where we have somewhat solid plans in place with hopes and dreams to match.

Through it, I’ve learned that there is no set way to find exactly what your passions are. Some of us find it in theatre, in music, on athletic fields, in the classroom, or through creativity and artistic pursuits. Within the four year journey at Rocky, the goal is that each and every student finds their place and purpose to prepare for the next stages of life.

While this isn’t always the case, the growth I’ve seen within my peers has been astounding. We have separated–without truly separating–based on the paths we took to get to graduation.There of those of us on track to military careers through the Air Force or ROTC, to joining the workforce in a few short weeks, to taking a gap year, or set on the traditional college path.

Rocky is the stepping stone for achieving your passions.

— Callin Naddy

Whatever the case is leading up to it and in the future, almost 500 students will be walking out of Moby Arena on Friday as Rocky Mountain graduates.

And the rest of the student body will walk back in on Tuesday morning. Although they aren’t there yet, at some point within the next four years, their heads will be adorned with the red of a graduation cap.

They will receive a similar support, a similar education, and a similar message as those sent to the class of 2018. They will walk down the same halls that I and my peers have, on a journey through Rocky.

And whatever your place on this journey–whether you have already received your diploma, are within a year or two of it, or have just entered the Rocky family–understand that there is a lineage to this school’s history and that Rocky is the stepping stone for achieving your passions.

With these lessons conveyed to my readers and my time here done and dusted, I willingly step down from the reigns and hand them over to classes who will hopefully do their best at upholding the legacy of Rocky and of the journey of the classes before them.

Callin Naddy