Campaigning starts strong

Callin Naddy

Posters for Student Council candidates adorn the halls of Rocky as Student Council elections take place this week.

The Rocky halls have a different look to them.

The normal red brick has been covered with hundreds of posters campaigning for the newest Student Council officers.

That’s right, folks: it’s election time.

StuCo officer hopefuls can campaign for the entirety of the school week, with voting taking place on Thursday during homeroom.

We have some really good candidates, and I think that we’ll have a really good Student Council officer team next year.

— Kelsey Mauch

Each student can vote for Student Body representatives who fill the role of governing the whole school. These positions include Student Body President, Vice President, and Secretaries. Students will also vote for their class representatives, but only those in the specific classes can do so.

“I think it’s really important for the people voting to remember that these [officers] will be planning a lot of events and representing their voice,” conveyed the newly-crowned club sponsor Kelsey Mauch.

The Rocky Student Council nominees go through a relatively rigorous application cycle. They are required to turn in applications and two teacher recommendations, attend a group processing day so advisors can gain an understanding of each student, and campaign to the school for votes. Officers looking to be in a Student Body position also had to conduct interviews with Mauch.

Be on the lookout for a follow-up article detailing those picked to be on the 2018-2019 RMHS Student Council. Results will also be made available during Monday’s announcements and Tuesday’s video announcements.

“I’m really excited to see how it all turns out,” added Mauch. “We have some really good candidates, and I think that we’ll have a really good Student Council officer team next year.”