FCCLA Welcomes Growing Family

Bea Loeb

Members of FCCLA

The Rocky FCCLA chapter is welcoming its biggest student participation ever this year and is aiming to create a feeling of family and community.

FCCLA stands for Family, Career, and Community Leaders of America, and the purpose of the club is for students to prepare for competitions with the nationally-affiliated organization. Participants create presentations and work on projects to be judged at state and national competitions. Events are focused on different roles of the family member, wage earner, and community leaders. Categories include fashion, culinary arts, child care, environment, entrepreneurship and more.  

Members strive to promote family in the school and to contribute locally in a positive manner. FCCLA is run by family and consumer science teacher Kelsey Mauch. Senior Meghan Jackson is the president and senior Megan Sadar is the public relations representative. The club aims to teach interpersonal skills, critical and creative thinking skills, and career readiness skills.

They are always accepting and welcoming to new members, however, fees for a national membership are due November 1st. If students are looking to compete, they must be registered by this deadline. However, students may join even if they do not want to compete.

Jackson said, “We really want to make a huge impact and we want to grow in new members.”

Throughout the year, FCCLA members fundraise for traveling expenses and competitions and conferences They sell fruit-infused “Wild Water” on Wednesdays to raise money for the club. Every Tuesday, teachers who have paid a fee of $30 are permitted to wear a shirt that promotes post-secondary learning, such as gear representing their alma maters, in order to inspire students to think about post-graduation options. They also decorate cookies with kids during the Adopt a Family distribution day. 

“We bring everyone closer together,” said Sadar, “because we are involved in the Lobo family.” 

In the community, they work with the Matthew’s House Thanksgiving, an event at which homeless people who can prove they are working towards moving out of homelessness are invited to a Thanksgiving dinner. FCCLA cooks mashed potatoes, yams, and pecan pies for this event. 

This year, they are also working with Logan, a 10 year-old boy who has severe autism.   The organization plans to sponsor a fundraiser to buy a service dog for him.

“The first thing in our name is family,” said Jackson, “It’s really like that.” The FCCLA officers emphasize the closeness of this group, bringing community to their growing club and Rocky.