Pandemic disruption to senior year

Twelve years of work only to have the last one crumble. This is what seniors all around Fort Collins are dealing with because of the current coronavirus pandemic.

Senior year is usually filled with “homecoming, prom, school-sponsored powderpuff, football games, and many other fun things that we have all looked forward to during our senior year,” according to Poudre High School senior, Avery Chadwick. But many of these activities have been canceled due to the pandemic.

At Poudre, Chadwick is involved in many things, including a youth group, Future Farmers of America (FFA), and working at Cold Stone Creamery. She has seen the pandemic affect all of those activities, from no longer getting to go in person to her youth group, canceled competitions and trips for FFA, and fewer hours for work.

However, she does think that this pandemic has had some positive effects.

“Overall, [I am] sad about my senior year, but I am very happy to be able to spend more time with my family and animals. . . this pandemic has made me realize the very important things in my life and has made me look forward to going to college and future things.”

A few streets over, a Rocky Mountain High School senior, Ryan Randall is having similar feelings, but a different experience.

He is involved in Rocky’s Link Crew, National Technical Honor Society (NTHS), National Honor Society (NHS), football, club and school swimming, and an internship mentor program. He has seen the pandemic create changes for every one of these activities.

“The pandemic has affected all of these in some way, from having meetings for mentorship, NHS, NTHS, and Link Crew all online [to] football [having] an odd and late season, [with] a shortened schedule.”

For football, Randall said that the athletes had to get symptoms and their temperatures checked every day and wear a mask during practice and on the sidelines at games. Swimming, however, has not had too much change.

“We just keep smaller numbers in the lanes, and high-school is being postponed for later,” Randall said.

When asked about missed opportunities for seniors, he talked about traditions that Rocky has like the senior run, passing the torch to the underclassmen, and activities and organizations being changed or canceled.

He shared similar views to Chadwick with missing senior year but did offer some words of hope.

“It’s sad to know what will be missed, but very important to learn that we are blessed for the things we still do get, like education,” Randall said.

A fellow football player and Fort Collins High School senior, Spencer Thurgood has seen the pandemic affect the things he is involved in.

Along with football, he also plays basketball, is on the track team, and a part of NHS. Due to the pandemic, all of these activities have been postponed or canceled.

Although the pandemic has affected the things that Thurgood is involved in, he has an honest answer to his feelings about senior year.

“It doesn’t really matter, life goes on,” Thurgood said.

Julia Blad, a Fossil Ridge High School senior, when asked about this year had a much more hopeful attitude.

Blad is involved in NHS, NAHS, Mu Alpha Theta, and Key Club.

“The pandemic has made it harder to get hours for my clubs and also it’s just not the same in meetings because we can’t meet as a group. It’s made me less motivated to participate in the clubs/honor societies,” Blad said when asked about the effects the coronavirus pandemic has had on her.

“I’m sad about [this year], but I’m hoping we can go back next semester. Online school is very draining and it’s taken all the fun away from school. I don’t think anyone is really learning that much in their classes this year,” Blad continued.

Although this year has been tough for students across Fort Collins, it is important to remain hopeful.

“We need to understand that many things in our world we take for granted are vibrantly shown to us now and as this pandemic goes away we need to keep this in mind,” Randall finished.