Safe2Tell Helps School Stay Safe

Safe2tell+cards

Ravyn Cullor

Safe2tell cards

The Colorado Office of the Attorney General offers a safe way for students to report threatening behavior anonymously through the Safe2Tell service.

Students can make reports by phone call, online submission, or through the Safe2Tell app. When a report is made, it is sent directly to a trained Colorado State Patrol Dispatcher, who takes the necessary information and creates a report, which will be sent to school administrators. In order to maintain anonymity, the dispatcher will not ask for the name or identifying information of anyone who contacts the hot line, and they do not have caller ID.

The student section of the Safe2Tell site describes “threatening behavior” as “bullying, stealing, threats, fights, drugs, alcohol, weapons, sexual misconduct, harassment, stalking, dating violence, cutting, suicidal behaviors or any other violent or dangerous situations that threaten their safety or the safety of others.”

Since the service was created in 2004, over 15,000 reports have been made, about 3,500 of them in the 2014-2015 school year alone. The vast majority of reports have been for suicide interventions, bullying, and drug/alcohol use. The service was highly publicized last year, as it was a strong component in discovering a school shooting threat at Mountain Vista High School in Highlands Ranch, Colorado.

To report a threat through Safe2Tell, call 1-877-542-7233, hit the Submit a Tip icon at the top of the Safe2Tell page, or download the Safe2Tell Colorado app at the Apple Store or Google Play.

.